Saturday, January 11, 2014

Generic Items that Just Don't Fly at My House


So, I’m at Walmart the other day and trying to wade through the sea of freakshows to get my much needed weekly groceries, and I notice that some things I am good with getting the generic version, other things, NO FREAKING WAY!  This being said, I grew up with Karen Teresa O’Nan Martin- and that woman doesn’t believe in generic anything.   So since I haven’t officially lived with her for about 12 years now, I consulted with her on this topic again for this blog.

So what things can you buy generic? And what things do you need to stick with the real stuff?

“You cant buy anything generic, that generic crap is all garbage”-The one and only Karen


This is how we roll in Walmart



I will have to admit, I don’t feel great joy when I put my Equate brand items on the checkout.  I look at their sad plain little boxes and wonder if maybe Karen is right.  First of all, why do they make these boxes so damn homily?  I will have to say, I am your average consumer and I am attracted to sparkly packing. Well, I guess that’s what you get for buying generic- sad, unsparkly, homily little boxes. So I have compiled a list of items that I think there is no time ever that it is accepted to buy the generic version. Now I am sure some d- bag will get on here an post a comment about how they use the generic version and it works just fine and it’s stupid to spend more money on the brand name. Well, please refer to my very first blog post “Readers Beware” on that subject matter. If I cared what your list was, I would be reading your blog now wouldn’t I?????   J

Absolutely, Positively, No Generics people-“They are all crap”

1.       Q-tips-   Take my word on this one. I pull a lot of shit, out of a lot of people’s ears. Actually I actually take great pleasure in doing so. Its kinda that rush you get when you pop a really big pimple. (yeah, you know what I am talking about) I have pulled more than one Equate brand q-tip end out of someone’s ear. Here’s a tip people, if you stick one in your ear and only half of it comes back out…..you’re  not doing it right.

2.       Tampons- Okay ladies (or brave men that would actually buy these for your ladies. I think my husband would just soon fashion one out of a cotton ball and some fishing line before he would be caught dead at the store with some Tampax in his cart). You’re putting these in your Jay-Jay. I know some of you are not very selective about what you shove up there, considering your choice of significant other, but I am. Stick with Tampax please. Plus,  the generic kind are bad about getting the string wrapped around the tampon.  Unfortunately in my line of work, I am often the retriever of such lost items. No one really wants to fish up in your bidness to retrieve….well anything really.

3.        Chocolate Chips- I am a cookie connoisseur.   Ask anyone lucky enough to get me to make my brownie cookies for them. You want consistently awesome chocolate chipness everytime- Go with Tollhouse.  You F up some cookies using some cheap ingredients- that’s on you!  Also, I cant give away all my secrets- but the one freebie I’ll give you is don’t overbake them. Actually take however long you thought you were going to bake your cookies and take 2 mins off that, at least.

4.       Baby wipes- This one should be pretty self explanatory, but for those of you who are certified idiots-I’ll lay this one out for you. This thin little wet peace of paper is the only thing that lies between you and a big handful of shit. Are you really that hard up for money that you want to go cheap in that department? Stick with Huggies. Pampers diapers are tolerable. Pampers wipes suck.

5.       Snack cakes- I was personally devastated when Hostess went out of business. Thank goodness they have got their shit together and got back to making delicious mini donuts and cupcakes.  Even my 3 year old refuses to eat chocolate donuts that are not Hostess. ATTENTION OTHER BRANDS- Your doing it wrong!

6.       Tennis Shoes- Well, I took that survey the other day I found on Facebook about dialect, and discovered that I actually call these "Tennashoes", but you get my drift. For those of you that don’t speak Western Kentucky- those would be the equivalent of sneakers or perhaps athletic shoes.  Well, there is a reason that these companies and sell these shoes for $150 dollars, its because they are so much more comfortable. I used to wear Nikes, but then I got turned on to Asics. I’m not going back. I walk almost 5 miles a day- and you can bet your sweet ass you wont find any walmart special on my feet.

7.       Makeup brushes- I’m going to claim ignorance on this one. I used to wear Clinique makeup, which is not cheap. Just because I didn’t know any better, I used those sad little brushes that came with the makeup. WRONG!!!!  Then I got introduced to MAC makeup and I’m in love. MAC doesn’t come with any crappy little brushes, which at first kind of irritated me. Then once I purchased some MAC brushes and started to use those, I realized that I had been so dumb all these years. It makes all the difference in the world. The brushes are expensive- mentally prepare yourself (and don’t tell Josh.)

Last but not least…..

8.       Furniture- I will say ole Karen was right on this one. I have regretted every cheap piece of furniture I have every purchased.  My husband hates it when I get a wild hair to go furniture shopping, because he knows that pricetag is going to be high. Although I accuse him of being cheap, I guess that is not actually true. He is actually willing to spend money,  real money,  on certain things….by that,  I mean THINGS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO HIM. Like lets say- duck hunting gear, toilet paper, electronics, etc… When it comes to things like home décor, my clothes, makeup, tampons, etc- that wallet gets pretty tight.

This list is not all inclusive, but just a public service announcement. So okay Mom, I guess you weren’t wrong about everything. Sometimes you do, in fact, get what ya pay for!
Tripp is shocked- all Tampons are not created equal

1 comment: