Monday, January 13, 2014

Confession Time: I Don't Like to Play with My Kids

So before you get all judgmental on me, hear me out. I do, in fact, play with my kids. I just don't really like to. This makes me feel incredibly guilty. I wonder sometimes if I am the only parent that feels this way, or are there other people out there that just dread the thought of bellying up for a 101st game of Candy land?

Playdough- invented by some Jackass without kids


To be fair, my mom says I never liked to play. Even when I was a kid. For any of you that know my mother, if she says it, then it must be true :) (Hi Karen)  Seriously though, even at age 3, I was like...."Can cut this Barbie crap...seems kinda counterproductive, lets learn about algebra instead." Side note: I really did want to learn about algebra when I was about 6. I knew it involved substituting letters for numbers in equations. I kept asking my mom to give me some algebra problems to solve. I just would need to know "what number those letters stood for" and I would be able to give her an answer in a hot second. She tried to tell me that it was more complicated than that. Touche Karen! Touche!

Tripp pretending to transform into a bulldozer 

Then, it hit me. The reason that I don't jump with joy when my kid finds that power rangers sword AGAIN,(Damn, I'm going to have to hide that a little better.) is that I am a 29 year old with a Masters Degree. Frankly, I feel like y'all oughtt to be concerned about me if at the sheer mention of Hungry Hippo, I shit myself with excitement. Why am I bored out of my ever-loving mind when he wants me to help him have a war with his transformers, because they are created to entertain 3 year-olds. I'm not saying that if you enjoy playing with your kids your automatically some dipshit, I just think that its probably normal that its not highly entertaining for me.


Now that Tripp can play board games, it's become slightly more tolerable, because I like the competition. I do, however, make him play the game right. He is not real fond of losing either. In fact, he cried in a corner of my living room the other night when I opened up a can of whoop ass on him in Candy land. 3-0 baby! There is no way I am going to encourage just letting him win. My job as a parent is to prepare him for the world,and I seriously doubt him throwing himself in the floor if someone gets a better deal than him at K-mart one day is really going to serve him well. It not really my fault that I marched through Cupcake Commons like a boss, now, is it????

Sometimes to mix it up, Gunner plays a game with us
I love my kids more than I even thought was possible. I feed them, hug them, snuggle them, read to them, and (GAG) play with them. I would be lying through my teeth if I told you that the thought of coming home from a long day at work and playing hide and seek with them didn't make me want to jump off a bridge just a little bit. I get just as excited about that as I do when I hear my husband yell "Come in here and look what the cat left you."

So,  next time you see me owning a game of Chutes and Ladders, just know its not for me. Then again, if you are a mom, nothing really is?



No comments:

Post a Comment