Sunday, December 22, 2019

Awesome Protein Breakfast Balls

If you are like me, you grew up in an era in which Little Debbie cakes were a perfectly acceptable breakfast item.  My typical breakfast choices as a child ranged between a Fudge Round if life was good, a Zinger if things were still going to be okay, and if there was already some bad juju karma in my house that morning, I might just have to settle for a Poptart.  
It's time to pick your breakfast
At no point and time did anyone in the late 80's or early 90's worry about sending their kids to school with a nutritious breakfast. We were going to "run it off" anyway.  To top it off, I usually drank a Mountain Dew or a Surge (remember that stuff?) No wonder everyone from my generation is turning up with diabetes. 
So, now that I am in my 30's and I have children of my own,  I have decided it is time for me to stop eating like a child... I have got to figure out what to eat for breakfast!  Now, there are choices out there like bacon and eggs, or oatmeal, but that is a SIT DOWN breakfast.   I am a full time working mother that commutes 40 minutes each way to work.  There is no time for sit down ANYTHING in my house in the mornings.  I have to have something that is literally GRAB AND GO.  I mean that in the most literal way possible. If I have to do any preparation to it, you can pretty much forget it.  
People have mentioned to me to try protein shakes. I have done it, and there are honestly very few I am in love with.  Maybe I am not trying the right ones, or not doing the right things, but really it's more of a texture thing for me.  I really just want to eat my meals, not drink them.  Most of the protein drinks kind of make me feel like I've drank some sort of liquid chalk that is going to be in my throat until I barf if back up at some point. I think I'll pass. 
Protein shakes
So, I have found a recipe for these chocolate peanut butter ENERGY BALLS that I love!  To be fair, they are still not 100% super healthy for someone that is on a low carb or no carb diet, but they are a hell of a lot healthier than the other stuff that I had been eating on my way to work (ie- a Hostess Cupcake, a Fudge Round, :(     So, I want to share with you the recipe. It's very customizable, you can add and subtract ingredients depending on preference and allergies, and also you might be able to cut back a little on some of the yummy stuff in here and make them a bit more healthy, but I'm on the baby step plan right now people. 
No Bake protein energy balls

No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Balls


  • 4 cup(s), Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
  • 1 cup(s), Brown Flax, Ground
  • 1 tbsp(s), Vanilla extract
  • 2 Scoop, Soy Protein Chocolate
  • 1 cup(s), Creamy Peanut Butter
  • 1 1/3 cup(s), Mini Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup, Honey
 All the ingredients together
Combined all ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for 20-30 minutes to make them easier to roll. Roll them into 1 inch balls.  This recipe makes about 40 balls.

Nutrition Facts

Servings 40.0

Amount Per Serving

calories 153

% Daily Value *

Total Fat 7 g

11 %

Saturated Fat 2 g

10 %

Monounsaturated Fat 0 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g

Trans Fat 0 g

Cholesterol 0 mg

0 %

Sodium 38 mg

2 %

Potassium 32 mg

1 %

Total Carbohydrate 20 g

7 %

Dietary Fiber 2 g

8 %

Sugars 13 g

Protein 4 g

8 %

Vitamin A

0 %

Vitamin C

0 %

Calcium

2 %

Iron

5 %

* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.


PS: For this particular recipe, I chose soy protein because I have not had luck with whey protein being kind to my belly in the past. You could honestly use any type of protein you wanted.  I have also seen these with chia seeds added and/or things like raisins, but raisins give me trust issues. This recipe is the one I have been loving, so go wild and add something if you want homies. 
Until next time!
Tiffany 

No comments:

Post a Comment